The Northern Territory Pensioner and Carer Concession Scheme (NTPCCS) provides financial subsidies to eligible members for electricity, water, sewerage, council rates, garbage rates, spectacles, motor vehicle registration, urban public bus travel and drivers licence renewals.
Women aged 60 and over; men aged 65 and over, totally and permanently incapacitated veterans, and aged war service veterans are also eligible for the interstate or overseas travel subsidy. This is a concession of $500 every two years OR the actual cost of the travel, which is the lesser amount, available every two years. Alternatively, this concession can be used to bring a relative or a friend to the Territory.
The NT Seniors Card is a separate scheme to the NTPCCS. The NT Seniors Card is issued free and provides access to savings on a range of goods and services provided by participating businesses. More information on the NT Seniors Card can be found here.
Concession scheme categories
All Pensioners of all ages, who are permanent residents of the NT and hold a current Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) Pension Concession Card or a DVA Gold Card (only accepted if stamped TPI).
Carers who are permanent residents of the NT and are in receipt of the Commonwealth Carer's Allowance from Centrelink.
Non-Pensioner Aged War Service Veterans
Non-Pensioner Aged War Service Veterans (females 55 years and over and men 60 years and over), who are permanent residents.
Low-Income Superannuants (females under the age of 60 years and men under the age of 65 years) who are:
- permanent residents of the Northern Territory and
- are in receipt of a regular life-long superannuation pension from a complying Superannuation Scheme or Fund and
- have been assessed by Centrelink and issued with a Commonwealth Health Care Card.
Senior citizens (females 60 years and over and men 65 years and over), who are permanent residents. Senior Citizens in gainful employment are still eligible to apply.
Members can receive consessions on the following items:
- Electricity/Alternate Energy
- Local Council Property rates
- Water Rates
- Sewerage Rates
- Garbage Charges
- Motor Vehicle Registration
- Drivers Licence
- Public Transport
- Stamp Duty
- Interstate/Overseas Travel - restricted to Senior Citizens, Aged Pensioners, Totally and Permanently Incapacitated Veterans, and Aged War Service Veterans. (These cardholders are able to use their travel entitlements to bring a friend or family member living interstate or overseas to visit them in the Northern Territory.)
NB: Concessions 2,3,4, 5 and 10 are only available to members' primary place of residence.
NB: Concession 11 is only available, under specified conditions, to:
- Women aged 60 years and over
- Men aged 65 years and over
- Totally and Permanently Incapacitated Veterans of any age
- Female War Service Veterans aged 55 years and over
- Male War Service Veterans aged 60 years and over
How to apply
Applications to join the Scheme are available from the Northern Territory Pensioner and Carer Concession Unit. To find out how to obtain the forms, please phone 1800 777 704 (cost of a local call) or download from below.
Please consult the NT Pensioner and Carer Concession Unit for eligibility to concessions, before submitting any forms.
Information guidelines and booklets
- Concession Information (Adobe PDF document - 99KB) | DOCX (18KB)
- Travel Concession Fact Sheet (PDF) (Adobe PDF document - 119KB) | DOCX (20KB)
- Pensioner Concession Application Form (Adobe PDF document - 124KB) | DOCX (14KB)
- Pensioner Concession Application Information (Adobe PDF document - 1080KB) | DOCX (20KB)
To accompany your application, you are requested to submit the following documents:
- Proof of permanent NT residency (such as your NT Drivers Licence, Rates or Electricity Bill required)
- Relevant Centrelink documentation showing proof of Centrelink Reference Number and/or a current Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) Pension Concession Card or a DVA Gold Card (only accepted if stamped TPI)
- If a Senior Citizen, Pensioner and Non-Pensioner Aged War Service Veteran proof of age is required, and evidence of two years residency in the NT prior to your application.
Applications can be submitted by post to:
Northern Territory Pensioner and Carer Concession Scheme
NT Department of Health
PO Box 40596, CASUARINA NT 0811