Text OnlyPrint View

Gazetted Management Areas and Plans

VSA Management Areas & Management Plans for residents, visitors and contractors

Under the Volatile Substance Abuse Prevention Act residents and community councils can request that the Minister declares an area a Management Area and approves a Management Plan for the area in order to control the possession, sale and supply, use and storage of volatile substances that can cause individuals and communities harm.

Even if a Management Plan is not in force where people may live, visit or work it is important that they use volatile substances responsibly. The following practices are recommended:

  • Use Opal fuel when and where available.
  • If Opal is not available use lockable fuel cap or diesel powered equipment.
  • Secure inhalants and fuel powered equipment.
  • Lock up aerosols, glues and other substances that may be abused.
  • Remove (or safely dispose of) all glues, paints, aerosols and other inhalants when leaving the community.

A Guide has been prepared for contractors who plan to visit and work at communities.

Where Management Plans have been approved for an area it is imperative that people who live on the community and those who may visit for recreation or work etc purposes are aware of, and comply with, these rules. The maximum penalty for the contravention of a Management Plan includes 100 penalty units (currently 1 penalty unit = $130) or 6 months imprisonment.

Communities with Management Areas and/or Plans

The communities listed below have a declared Management Area under the Volatile Substance Abuse Prevention Act; some also have approved Management Plans.

However, as the places which have gazetted Areas or Plans are subject to change it is strongly recommended that, each time you travel to a remote area, you ascertain whether a Management Plan is in force, and the specific obligations which exist.

Top End


Communities with Management Area

Date Management Plan Commenced

DarwinGunbalanya (Oenpelli) (Adobe PDF document - 194KB)May 2010
Kakadu (Adobe PDF document - 291KB) | DOCX (1430KB)July 2013
East Arnhem.Galiwin'ku (Adobe PDF document - 58KB) | DOCX (142KB)8 July 2015
GapuwiyakJune 2016
Numbulwar (Adobe PDF document - 40KB)July 2011
RaminginingOctober 2016
YirrkalaOctober 2016
KatherineBeswick (Wugularr) (Adobe PDF document - 747KB) | DOCX (741KB)April 2013
Jilkminggan (Adobe PDF document - 514KB) | DOCX (1669KB)April 2009
Kalano (Adobe PDF document - 387KB) | DOCX (1272KB)September 2015
Minyerri aka Alawa-
Wadeye (Adobe PDF document - 142KB) | DOCX (133KB)July 2013
Weemol (Adobe PDF document - 657KB) | DOCX (114KB)March 2009
Walangeri (Adobe PDF document - 274KB) | DOCX (597KB)May 2012

Central Australia


Communities with Management Area

Date of Declaration of the Plan

BarklyAlpurrurulam (Adobe PDF document - 92KB)April 2008
Alice Springs.Hoppy's Camp (Adobe PDF document - 227KB)January 2008
Ikuntji (Adobe PDF document - 157KB)March 2008
Kaltukatjara (Adobe PDF document - 53KB)May 2008
Kintore (Adobe PDF document - 55KB)December 2007
Mount Liebig (Adobe PDF document - 389KB)October 2011
Ntaria (Adobe PDF document - 126KB)March 2009
Papunya (Adobe PDF document - 64KB)April 2007
Yarrenyty Arltere (Larapinta) (Adobe PDF document - 310KB)March 2009

Community Agencies

Various government and community agencies are also active in preventing and responding to the misuse of volatile substances in the community, including:

  • The Northern Territory Department of Health and Families' Alcohol and Other Drug Program Services in the Top End (TADS - 08 8922 8430) and Central Australia (ADSCA - 08 8951 7580), have primary responsibility for the administration of the Volatile Substance Abuse Prevention Act. Their role includes consulting with individual communities about the development of Management Areas and Plans and making recommendations to the Minister so that the wishes of communities can be put into effect.
  • Amity Community Services Inc [08 8944 6565, www.amity.org.au.] is a non-government organisation providing services across the Northern Territory relating to alcohol and other drugs and gambling. One of its projects is the Alcohol and Other Drugs Indigenous Communities Project funded by the Department of Health and Ageing; this project's goal is to reduce the health and social harms associated with volatile substance misuse in the Top End region of the Northern Territory.
  • The Central Australian Youth Link-Up Service (CAYLUS) [08 8951 4236, http://www.tangentyere.org.au/services/family_youth/caylus/.] is a local non-government organisation that supports communities in Central Australia in preventing and responding to inhalant abuse through community development initiatives such as youth diversion programs and rehabilitation services, supply reduction strategies and casework.