15th Chronic Diseases Network Conference - September 8th-9th 2011
The 15th Annual Chronic Diseases Network Conference "Out of the shadows, into the spotlight; Chronic Diseases - Mental Health" was held on 8-9th September 2011 at the Darwin Convention Centre. The conference was well attended, attracting 252 people.
The conference theme focused the relationships between mental health and chronic conditions. Mental ill health can be a chronic condition in itself and many physical chronic conditions are closely linked to mental health conditions.
The 2011 Program
There were four (4) keynote presentations in 2011. The keynote speakers, in program order, were:
- Fay Jackson - Director of Vision in Mind
Chronic Diseases and Mental Illness
- Dr Tom Calma - National Coordinator for Tackling Indigenous Smoking
What's the Tackling Indigenous Smoking Initiative all about and What's the Status of the Roll-Out
- Professor David Clarke - Clinical Director of Consultation - Liaison and Primary Care Psychiatry at Monash medical Centre and Research Advisor to beyondblue.
Being sick and Tired - depression and chronic illness a deadly combination
- Associate professor Tricia Nagel - Leader of Healing and Resilience Division at Menzies School of Health Research
Treatment journeys in mental health and chronic disease a recovery focus
There were a Thirty six (36) concurrent sessions in 2011. To view the Concurrent Sessions, please contact the Chronic Diseases Network on 08 89228280 or by emailing [click here to send email]
In 2011 there were seven interactive workshops. To view Interactive Workshops, please contact the Chronic Diseases Network on 08 89228280 or by emailing [click here to send email]
There was six (6) plenary sessions this year. The2011 plenary sessions, in program order, were:
- The role of media in bringing mental health out of the shadows.
Author: Genelle Sharrock
- Beyond the Eclipse
Author: Christopher Brocklebank
- Spotlight on metabolic Syndrome in Mental Health Service: whys and therefores of Organisational Change
Author: David Chapman
- Mental Health and Chronic Disease- A 2 way street
Authors: Dr Christine Connors and Dr Damien Howard
- What I worry for!
Author: Dr Hugh Heggie
- What we have found - a report on Remote Clinical Psychology Practice, Mental Health and Chronic Disease
Author: Dr Ruth Rudge
Please contact the CDN for further contact information. Ph: 08 8922 8280 or email [click here to send email]