Text OnlyPrint View

Northern Territory Pensioner & Carer Concession Scheme (NTPCCS)


The Northern Territory Pensioner and Carer Concession Scheme (NTPCCS) provides financial subsidies to eligible members for electricity, water, sewerage, council rates, garbage rates, travel, spectacles, motor vehicle registration, urban public bus travel and drivers licence renewals.

The NT Seniors Card is a separate scheme to the NTPCCS. The NT Seniors Card is issued free and provides access to savings on a range of goods and services provided by participating businesses. More information on the NT Seniors Card can be found here.


On 1 January 2016, water and sewerage concessions under the Northern Territory Pensioner and Carer's Concession Scheme increased by 0.8 per cent as a result of growth in the Darwin consumer price index.

The increases are in line with water and sewerage tariff increases implemented by the Power and Water Corporation on 1 January 2016.

There will be no changes to the electricity concession as a result of the reduction to electricity tariffs of five per cent.

NTPCCS Policy Manual

Concession scheme eligibility groups

  • Permanent residents of the NT who hold a valid concession card, issued by the Commonwealth Department of Human Services (Centrelink), or Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs.
  • Carers who are permanent residents of the NT and are in receipt of the Commonwealth Carer's Allowance from Centrelink.

Available concessions

Members can receive concessions on the following items:

  1. Electricity/Alternate Energy
  2. Local Council Property rates
  3. Water Rates
  4. Sewerage Rates
  5. Garbage Charges
  6. Motor Vehicle Registration
  7. Drivers Licence
  8. Spectacles
  9. Public Transport
  10. Stamp Duty
  11. Interstate/Overseas Travel - is available to people who hold the following valid concession cards:

    - aged Commonwealth Human Services (Centrelink) (65 years for men and women), or
    - aged Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs (60 years for men and women), or
    - totally and Permanently Incapacitated Veterans with a Gold Card.

    Members are required to have had at least two years of continuous permanent residency in the NT immediately prior to the date of their travel application. This information is required as a part of their application to support their travel claim.

(These cardholders are able to use their travel entitlements to bring a friend or family member living interstate or overseas to visit them in the Northern Territory.)

NB: Concessions 2,3,4, 5 and 10 are only available to members' primary place of residence and are the legal owners.

How to apply

Application form and concession information to join the Scheme are available below:

You can contact the NT Pensioner and Carer Concession Unit (NTPCCS) on 1800 777 704 (cost of a local call) or NTPCCS agents (see below list) for an application form or for any queries regarding the scheme.

To accompany your application, you are requested to submit the following documents:

  • Two documents that support your claim for proof of permanent NT residency
    (such as your NT Drivers Licence, Rates or Electricity Bill)
  • A copy of your valid Commonwealth Department of Human Services, or Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs concession card
  • For carers who are in receipt of a Commonwealth Carer Allowance and do not receive a concession card, you will need to provide evidence of your allowance from the Commonwealth Department of Human Services.
  • Applicants who may be eligible for a travel concession need to provide evidence of at least two years of continuous permanent residency in the NT immediately prior to the date of their travel application. 

Address Details

You can change your address details by completing the change of address form below:

Applications and Change of Address forms can be submitted by post, email or in person:


Northern Territory Pensioner and Carer Concession Scheme
NT Department of Health
PO Box 40596

In Person

Alice Springs, Office of Disability, Eurilpa House, Todd Mall
  Mon - Fri: 9:00 am to 3:21 pm

Casuarina, Office of Disability, 2B2 CasCom Centre, 17 Scaturchio St, Casuarina
  Mon - Fri: 8.30 am to 4:00 pm

Katherine, Office of Disability,  5 Kintore St Katherine (Next to ambulance complex)
  Mon - Thurs: 9:00 am to 12:00 noon & 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm

Nuhlunbuy, Office of Disability,  Arnhem House
  Mon - Fri: 8:00 am to 4:21 pm  

Palmerston, Palmerston Community Care Centre, Cnr Temple Terrace & Roystonea Avenue
  Mon - Fri 8:00 am to 12:00 noon & 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm

Tennant Creek, Office of Disability, 1st Floor Matt Glen Building
  Mon - Friday: 9:00 am to12:30 pm