FREE breast screening mammograms for women 50 years and over.
- Darwin(Casuarina): Open Monday - Friday throughout the year
- Palmerston: Wednesday's and Friday's throughout the year
- Alice Springs: Block 1: 28 April - 6 June Block 2: 29 September - 7 November
BreastScreenNT Mobile 4WD
The Mobile 4WD is a joint Australian and Territory Government initiative.
Launched in Barunga in July 2014 by the Honourable Minister for Health Robin Jane Lambley MLA, the Mobile 4WD will visit up to 20 remote Aboriginal communities across the Territory and also the larger urban centres of Alice Springs, Nhulunbuy (Gove), Tennant Creek and Katherine.
Breast cancer is the most common cancer for Aboriginal women and the survival rate for remote women is much lower than for non-Indigneous women in urban centres. The BreastScreenNT Mobile 4WD service will assist in detecting cancer early and increase survival rates across the Territory.
The BreastScreenNT Health Promotion Team provides support for remote communities hosting the Mobile 4WD and can be reached by contacting BreastScreenNT on 13 20 50.
- Katherine: 30 June - 25 July
- Nhulunbuy (Gove): 11 - 15 August
- Kalkarindji: 1 - 5 September
- Borroloola: 8 - 19 September
- Tennant Creek: 22 - 26 September
- Ti Tree: 29 September - 3 October
- Yuendumu: 20 - 30 October
- Hermannsburg (Ntaria): 3 - 7 November
- Yulara (Mutitjulu): 17 - 28 November
Printable version: Mobile 4WD Schedule (Adobe PDF document - 214KB).
This service is available for women without breast symptoms. Women with breast symptoms will be asked to visit their Doctor. All Women who are eligible can choose to have a mammogram every two years to help detect breast cancer early. Finding cancer early is the key to survival, reducing the impact of treatment and getting you back to your busy life.
Please call 13 20 50 to make an appointment for this service. Group bookings also available and can be made anytime.
Did you know?
Australian women have a 1 in 9 risk of developing breast cancer in their lifetime.
Screening mammograms are performed for the purpose of detecting breast cancer at an early stage.
75% of breast cancers occur in women aged 50 years and over.
BreastScreenNT is a FREE breast screening service targeting women aged 50 to 69 years.
The BreastScreenNT program is a component of BreastScreen Australia, the national breast cancer screening program.
To book your free breast screen call 13 20 50 (cost of a local call) during business hours.
All BreastScreen Australia services are regularly reviewed to ensure they provide a high quality service. The performance of every BreastScreen Australia Service is measured by assessing how closely it meets a set of nationally agreed standards.
Accreditation is the process that evaluates the overall Service. All Services must participate in the accreditation process to be part of BreastScreen Australia. The accreditation system includes checking that Services meet the standards through site visits, self-assessment and reporting to the national quality committee.
Services are only accredited if they provide an acceptable quality of service.
- Those that are very successful are given accreditation for four years. They monitor their own performance and are reviewed again in four years.
- Others receive accreditation for two years, and are reviewed again after that time.
- Services can also receive two year accreditation with high priority recommendations. This means there are particular standards the national quality recommends they improve upon. Their managers and the national quality committee monitor these Services more closely.